In Karlsruhe, the Fraunhofer Institutes ICT and IOSB and the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) are part of the so-called Digital Hub. In the hubs, start-ups, industry, and science network in order to jointly create digital innovations. Today, innovations are mainly created at the interfaces of disciplines. That is why the three partners are working together to bring new production processes for processing new materials and substances quickly to series production readiness. To this end, computer science offers new methods and tools, namely data-driven models and machine learning processes, their analysis and innovative measurement and control procedures. Fields of application for the rapid readiness for series production at the Karlsruhe research factory are
A. innovative lightweight construction and the
B. Assembly of battery modules for electric mobility.
Here once again the three participating institutes and their competences at a glance:
Fraunhofer ICT: Material and process engineering
- Materials and educts
- Handling of the materials,
- Production engineering and processing,
- Joining technology (together with the wbk).
KIT wbk: Production technology
- 'Intelligent' machine components,
- Process interlinking, plant integration and automation,
- Process control and regulation,
- Quality assurance.
Fraunhofer IOSB: IT, Computer Science
- Sensors and actuators, measurement and control technology,
- Automation and control technology,
- Machine learning and data analytics,
- Online Optimization.